Friday, January 14, 2011

The Christ of the "Continual Feast"

Well, Well, Well. Most of the world has now gone back to "life as usual" now that the Holidays (Holy-Days) are over. The "high" of religious season is but a faint memory, and, you know, life come's crashin' in hard. 

But I have a confession to make.

First, the whole Holiday season is a bit anticlimactic to me. I don't mean that I don't care; I don't mean that I don't like it; I don't mean that I don't worship; I don't mean that I don't desire it. And on, and on.

What I do mean is that because of my daily walk with Christ I no longer experience the highs and lows of life so severely. The highs are not as high (because not contrived), and, praise God, the lows are not as low. Enigmatic as it may seem, Christ's abundant life moderates the highs and lows.

With Christ, every day is a Feast Day, so I am not nearly as startled by, or dependent on, the religious season (I am not nearly so jacked by a brief season, when the whole year I am "in season"). And, with Christ, every day is a Feast Day, so I am not nearly so devastated by the reversals and the discouragements that normal life brings.

Is Christ wonderful, or what!!! 

And there is a Scripture that simply expresses this:
"All the days of the afflicted are bad,
    But a  cheerful heart has a continual feast."- Pr. 15:15
Is there any man who suffered more highs and lows in his service for Christ than our apostle, Paul? I don't think so. And how did he summarize the stability, the moderation, the daily optimistic balance that this new life in Christ brings? I leave his words to completely explain and summarize this life of the "Continual Feast":

"I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4.12–13 NAS95

 

No comments:

Post a Comment