Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Ruthless Heart of Messiah


In C. S. Lewis’s Narnia Series, it is said of Aslan, the Messiah-type lion, “Of course He’s not safe, but He’s good.”  I like that. I think we have far too staid and “safe” an opinion of our Lord. After all, we are dealing with the Upright and the Holy One. This is not a game, He must repel all sin by the very demand of His righteousness. Period.

He’s not safe. In fact, without the cleansing blood - without the satisfaction (Propitiation – Rom. 3) of His Holy and Righteous demands - He’s downright dangerous, and even eternally fatal.

In light of this, there is a psalm that expresses this better than any human words. It is the very heart of David, but, more than that, it is the very heart of his greater Son, Christ. Notice the uprightness and integrity of our Messiah’s heart; notice the ruthlessness when it comes to evil. He’s not safe, but thank God, He’s good, He’s loving, and He died for our sins:

Psalm 101/A Vow of Messianic Integrity

101:1 I will sing of faithful love and justice; I will sing praise to You, LORD.
101:2 I will pay attention to the way of integrity. When will You come to me? I will live with a heart of integrity in my house.
101:3 I will not set anything worthless before my eyes. I hate the practice of transgression; it will not cling to me.
101:4 A devious heart will be far from me; I will not be involved with evil.
101:5 I will destroy anyone who secretly slanders his neighbor; I cannot tolerate anyone with haughty eyes or an arrogant heart.
101:6 My eyes ⌊favor⌋ the faithful of the land so that they may sit down with me. The one who follows the way of integrity may serve me.
101:7 No one who acts deceitfully will live in my palace; no one who tells lies will remain in my presence.
101:8 Every morning I will destroy all the wicked of the land, eliminating all evildoers from the LORD’s city.

                                                                                                                - Holman Christian Standard

It all brings to mind that fearful verse from Jer. 30:21 'Their leader shall be one of them, And their ruler shall come forth from their midst; And I will bring him near and he shall approach Me; For who would dare to risk his life to approach Me?' declares the LORD.

Only our Messiah approaches the Father on our behalf. And it is ours to only approach God in Him. Indeed, we “hide from God in God,” and our access to Him is only via His mediatorial Son. All other suggestions will be repulsed by the Holy One (Acts 4:12; Eph. 2:18; 3:12).

Chesed v'shalom, (Grace and Peace) - pastor M. - Psa. 35:10

No comments:

Post a Comment